Saturday, December 11, 2010

Names beginning with A

I've been inspired by AnastasiaRuby's alaphabet baby name series to to my own alphabet series (Thanks Stephanie). I am going to try to complete the series by Christmas so that's going to mean lots of blogs in a short time!
I'm not limiting myself to a certain number of names per letter because I like some letters for names a lot more than others. I am going to talk about boy and girl names that I like and find interesting for each letter.

A is one of my favorite letters for names so this is going to be a long blog!

I'll start with the boys:

Alexander - Alexander is a very strong and masculine sounding name. It has a great meaning 'defender of men'. It is a very popular name and has been for a long time. I think it is easy to see why it is so popular because it really is a great name. It is my dad's name and will probably be my son's middle name. I wouldn't use it as a first name because I don't really like any of it's nicknames.

Alistair - Alistair is the Scottish form of Alexander and therefore has the same great meaning. Condsidering how much I love Scottish names it is not surprising that this name is on this list.

Angus - Another Scottish name. I think Angus sounds very masculine. The nickname Gus is very cool.

Arran - This is the name of a Scottish island and is a cool and fresh sounding name. The only problem with it is that it will often get mixed up with Aaron.

Atticus - A very cool litterary name that is definitely making a comeback. The fact that Atticus Finch is such an inspriational character gives this name even more appeal.

Alaric - I am a huge Vampire Diaries fan and that is where I fist heard this name. It is very unusual and interesting!

And now for the girls:

Adelaide - To me this name sounds fresh and old-fashioned all at once. It is a perfect choice if you like classic but quirky names.

Arabella - This is a frillier, girlier and much less popular alternative to Isabella. It sounds very feminine and princessy and can still use the beautiful nickname Bella.

Anna - classic and timeless, Anna is a name that will never go wrong.

Angela - Another classic, to me this name sounds beautiful and strong all at once. If you can avoid the nickname Angie all the better.

Ailsa - The first of the Scottish names on the girl's list. Ailsa is very simple and pretty.

Ainsley - This is a unisex name that I definitely prefer for girls. It is a bit trendy but it is very cute.

Amelia - This name sound so feminine and pretty to me. I also love how many nickname options it has.

Aurelia - A good option if Amelia is a bit too popular for you. It has a lovely meaning too, 'golden'.

Aurora - Some people find this name a bit of a toungue twister but it is undoubtably very pretty.

Anwen - A lovely Welsh name that would make a good alternative to Ann or Anna.

1 comment:

  1. My favourite A names are:
    Aaron
    Aiden
    Ash
    Avia
    Arianna
    :)

    ReplyDelete