Thursday, December 2, 2010

Favorite Irish Names

Hi guys,
As a tribute to my love for celtic names I'm going to do a series of blogs about my favorite celtic names. I'm going to start with Irish names. I have 10 boys names' and 10 girls' names. I love so many Irish names that it was really hard to choose which ones to include in this blog. Anyway I hope you like them:

Boys

10. Kian - I really like this name, I went to school with a boy called Kian which is the first time I heard it. It means ancient.

9. Conall - This was the name of one of my friends from school. It means 'strong wolf' and to me it is very masculine sounding.

8. Malachy - This name is pronounced MAL-ah-kee and is the name of a charcter in the soap Hollyoaks and also two characters in the book and film Angela's Ashes.

7. Tiernan - This name means 'lord' and is very unusual and interesting.

6. Shea - (Shay) I love this name! I think it's very interesting but some people may think it's a bit feminine.

5. Ronan - This is the name of one of my cousins so unfortunately I probably won't be able to use it. I think it is very strong and masculine and I like its meaning - 'seal'.

4. Kevin - I have always liked this name. It is very cool, strong and masculine.

3. Liam - This is a Irish form of the name William and has been one of my favorite names for a long time.

2. Ciaran - I love this name, especailly with its original spelling. It is very strong and masculine sounding and means 'black'.

1. Finn - This names sounds modern but it is actually an ancient name form Irish mythology which I think is very cool. It also reminds me a lot of Glee. It means white and is probably my favorite boys name Boldat the moment.

Girls

10. Orla - This is a short and sweet name with the wonderful meaning of 'golden princess'

9. Siobhan - (shiv-ON) this used to be one of my favorite names. I still like it although I don't think it is very feminine sounding.

8. Coleen - To me this name seems old-fashioned in a good way. It always makes me think of a little girl with curly red hair and frickles.

7. Maeve - (Mayv) I think this name is very simple and pretty. It means 'intoxicating'.

6. Aislin - (ASH-lin) This name is very pretty and makes a nice alternative to the very popular name Ashleigh.

5. Aine - This is a very pretty name pronounced (ON-ya). I has a wonderful meaning od 'brilliant happiness'.

4. Niamh - (Neev) this is a very sweet and simple name which means 'brightness and beauty'.

3. Saoirse - This is a very pretty name pronounced (SEER-sha) which means freedom.

2. Ciara - (KEE-rah) This is a simple and very beautiful name. I have a friend called Ciara who makes me love it even more.

1. Caoimhe - (KEE-vah) This is a very pretty and interesting name that has the wonderful meaning of 'gentle, graceful and beautiful'

No comments:

Post a Comment