Monday, January 10, 2011

Scottish Names - Most Popular

I have been wanting to do a blog on Scottish names for a while. I love so many Scottish names that I know I can't fit them all in one blog.
I decided to start by looking at the list of all the names given in Scotland in 2010 to find out which Scottish names are most popular for Scottish babies.

Scottish girls' names are quite popular but not nearly as popular as the boys' names. I have the 15 most popular for you:

15. Rhona - Rhona is the name of a Scottish island. It is more popular for older people but I think it would be cute for a baby.

14. Brogan - I think this sounds like a boys' name but it is much more popular for girls. It comes from the gaelic word for shoe.

13. Bonnie - Bonnie is a Scottish word meaning pretty and I think it makes a cute name.

12. Morven - Morven is a Scottish place name meaning 'big gap'. It was quite popular for girls around my age but it is less popular now.

11. Fiona - This name was also very popular for girls around my age and also older women, it's not as popular now but I know heaps of Fionas. It's very pretty and it means 'fair'.

10. Mairi - Pronounce (MAH-ree) this is the Sottish form of Mary. Again this one is more popular for older people but I don't think it will ever go out of fashion.

9. Catriona - This is one of my favorite ever names. It is the Scottish form of Catherine.

8. Ailsa - This name comes from the name of a small Scottish island. I know people of all ages with this name and think it is very pretty and sophisticated.

7. Kirsty - This is the Scottish form of Christine. It is very popular for people my age and younger.

6. Mirren - This name has become popular again recently, I know a few little Mirrens. It means 'little Mary'.

5. Iona - This name is another one that is becoming very popular - it is on the top 100 this year. It is the name of a Scottish island. I have a little cousin named Iona and I think it's very pretty.

4. Orla - This is a very pretty name of Scottish and Irish origin which means golden.

3. Skye - This is another Scottish island name that has become very popular lately.

2. Eilidh - This name is pronouced (AY-lee). It is the Scottish form of Helen and is one of my favorite girls' names.

1. Isla - This name is number 5 on the Scottish top 100 for 2010. It has been around for a while and has been stedily rising in popularity. It comes from the name of the Scottish island Islay. It is my favorite girls' name right now.

Scottish boys' names are a lot more popular than the girls' names. They are not only popular in Scotland but all over the world. I have the 30 most popular for you and I'm sure you'll recognise some of them.

30. Fergus - I really love this name - I think it is so strong and masculine. It means 'man of vigour'.

29. Alan - Alan has many different origins including Scottish and possibly means 'little rock'.

28. Ruaridh - This name is pronounced (ROO-ree) I really like it and think it is very hamdsome. It means 'red king'.

27. Lachlan - This name originated as a nickname for someone from Norway. I really like it and think it is very interesting. My cousin named her son Lachlan and I've liked it even more since then.

26. Struan - I am surprised that this name made it on to this list as I always thought it was quite unusual. I really like it though and would love to meet a baby Struan.

25. Hamish - This is a Scottish form of James and I really like it. I think it sounds very Scottish and very interesting.

24. Gregor - This is one of my favorites from this list. It is the Scottish form of Gregory and I think it is very strong and masuline.

23. Taylor - This name comes from a Scottish surname. It is becoming more popular for girls now but it is still popular for boys in Scotland which is great because I like it for a boy.

22. Kenzie - This is a short form of MacKenzie. I don't really like it - I think it is very trendy sounding.

21. Craig - Craig means rock or crag. I think it is very strong and masculine.

20. Blair - This is another name that I am glad is still more popularfor boys here because I don't like it for girls. It means battlefeild.

19. Ewan - A lot of people will probably think of Ewan MacGregor when they hear this name. I know a lot of Ewans but have never really cared for the name.

18. Brodie - This is a Scottish place name. I think it is quite interesting but I'm not sure that it would age well.

17. Arran - This is the name of a Scottish island. I really like it - I think it is very strong and masculine. I have a little cousin named Arran.

16. Angus - I think this name is very strong and masculine. It possibly means 'one stregnth'.

15. Harris - Harris is the name of a Scottish island. I think it is very masculine sounding and sounds like a much cooler version of Harry.

14. Murray - A lot of people might think that this name is a bit old-fashioned but it i still quite popular here and I really like it. It is a surname name and I have a cousin called Murray.

13. Scott - Scott means someone from Scotland. It is very popular for boys my age and younger. I like how strong and simple it is.

12. Euan - Euan is an alternative spelling of Ewan. I prefer the Euan spelling.

11. Calum - Calum is one of my favorite names. It is very popular and it means 'dove'.

10. Fraser - This was originally a Scottish surname. It is very strong and masculine sounding.

9. Ross - Another Scottish surname name. I like how it is short and simple but still stong sounding.

8. Archie - This is a short form of Archibald. It used to sound like an old man name to me but I have recently met a baby Archie and I now think it is very cute.

7. Rory - Rory is a form of Ruaridh so it means 'red king'. I prefer Ruaridh but I still think it is cool.

6. Callum - This is the more popular spelling of Callum eventhough both spellings are in the top 100. If both spellings were combined Callum would be number 5 on the top names list.

5. Kyle - This name comes from a Scottish surname. I never used to like it but it has been growing on me lately.

4. Finlay - Finlay means 'white Warrior'. It is quite old fashioned but it is becoming more popular again.

3. Cameron - Cameron comes from a Scottish surname and means 'crooked nose'. I used to love it but I'm not so keen on it anymore. It's still a good name though.

2. Logan - This name will always remind me of Veronica Mars. I really like it - it is very strong.

1. Lewis - This name is number 2 on the scottish top names list. It is the name of a Scottish island and I am really starting to like it. It is very very popular and I have known a lot of Lewis's.

No comments:

Post a Comment