Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Less Popular Scottish Names!

All of the names included in this blog were given to babies in Scotland in 2010. Some of them were only given to one baby. I'm not going to include all the names in the blog, only the ones which I find most interesting. Once again there will be more boys' names than girls' names.

Girls:
Mhairi - This is a form of Mary which is pronounced (VAH-ree). It used to be my favorite girls' name and I still quite like it.

Ailish - This name is pronounced (AY-lish) and is a Scottish form of Alice. It has really been growing on me lately - I find it very interesting.

Mairead - This name is pronounced (MY-red) and is the Scottish form of Margaret. I know a few Maireads and I have always found it really interesting.

Lorna - This is a very pretty name which means 'fox'. It is definitely and old-lady name but I'd love to see it making a comeback. It would make a nice alternative to Lauren or Laura.

Ainsley - Ainsley is one of the only unisex names that I prefer for girls. It's naot really my usual style as it seems a bit trendy but I really like it.

Arabella - This is a medieval Scottish name which is probably a variant of Anabel. I think it is very princessy sounding and would make a lovely alternative to Isabella.

Ishbel - This is a Scottish form of Isabel. It is an old-lady name to me but I think it could make a comeback because the names Isabel and Isabella are so popular.

Morag - This name always reminds me of the Katie-Morag children's books. I have a friend called Morag and she really made me like the name.

Aela - I think this name is gorgeous. I know a little baby Aela and my friend has just chosen this name for her new puppy.

Kenna - This is a female form of Kenneth. I think it is cool and spunky sounding and will fit in well with a lot of trendy names.

Marsaili - This name is pronounced (MAR-si-lee) and it has been one of my favourites for a long time. I think it is very pretty and interesting.

Boys:
Alistair - Eventhough Alistair didn't make it onto the last list, it is still quite popular. It is the Scottish form of Alexander and means 'defender of men'. I think it is very stong and masculine.

Stuart - This has been one of my favourites for a long time. I think it is very strong and handsom.

Duncan - I have two cousins called Duncan and eventhough it's not on the most popular list it is still relatively common. It is very strong sounding.

Mackenzie - Eventhough I really dislike this name for girls I think it is quite cool for a boy.

Keir - (Keer) This name comes from a Scottish surname which meant 'rough wet ground'. I met a boy called Keir once and I have always thought that it was interesting.

Douglas - This was my great-grandfather's name and I think that's why I've always had a soft spot for it. I think it is very masculine.

Ian - I am surprised that this name isn't more popular because I know loads of Ians. It is the Scottish form of John and it has always been one of my favorites. I can easily imagine my child being called Ian.

Neil - This name might seem a bit dated to some people but I would like to see it rise in popularity again. I think it is very interesting and I like it's simplicity.

Lennox - I think this name sounds really cool and strong. I can really imagine a celebrity naming their baby Lennox.

Cailean - This is the first of the really unusual names on this list. It is pronounce (KA-len) and I think it is very intersting but I think it would be mixed up with Calum a lot.

Nairn - This is a Scottish place name which I think makes a really cool first name.

Gavin - I am surprised that this name isn't more popular. I think it is very strong and masculine.

Murdo - This really is an old-man name but I think it has the potential to make a comeback. I think it would be cool to meet a baby Murdo.

Dougal - This name means 'dark stranger'. In Scotland it is suposed to be good luck it the first person to visit you at the start of a new year is a dark stranger, so maybe Dougal is a lucky name.

Malcolm - This is a really cool name that was used by Shakespeare in Macbeth. I have a really good friend called Malcolm which really makes me love the name.

Calder - This name is mostly just a surname but I think it works well as a first name too.

Eachann - This name is pronounce (EK-in) and means 'brown Horse'.

Fionnlagh - This name is pronounce (FEW-lah) and means 'white warrior'.

Coinneach - I would pronounce this name (CON-ick) and it means handsome.

Ranald - This is the Scottish form of Reynold and I think it's really cool, strong and masculine.

Seamus - This is a Scottish form of James and is pronounced (SHAY-mus).

Seonaidh - Tuesday on formspring drew my attention to this name. It is pronounced (SHAW-nay) and I think it is really cool.

Seoras - This is the Scottish form of George and is pronounced (SHAW-rus). I have always thought it was very handsome.

Sorley - This name means 'summer traveller'. It seems very old-fashioned but I'd love to see it making a comeback. I think a baby called Sorley would be so cute.

Campbell - This is another Scottish surname which I think works really well as a first name.

No comments:

Post a Comment